How to change root password of phpmyadmin using mysql query on Xampp localhost?
XAMPP installation sets default password empty for MySQL phpmyadmin on localhost. This is mostly recommended to set a password to the user root to make it more secure. To reset XAMPP MySQL root password through SQL, follow these below steps:
Change Root password:
- Make sure Apache Server and MySQL instances are running.
- Type “http://localhost/phpmyadmin/” in your browser. Use port number if you have any. e.g. http://localhost:8090/phpmyadmin
- Select SQL tab from the right panel and run this query.
UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('password') WHERE User='root';
Change PHP configuration
- Find the below code in xampp/phpmyadmin/config.inc and open in your favourite text editor.
- Search for $cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘auth_type’] = ‘config’ ad replace it with $cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘auth_type’] = ‘cookie’;
- Restart apache and phpmyadmin.
Now you should be able to access phpmyadmin using your new password 🙂